I sanded the top, with the intention of staining it, but once I started painting the sides, I kept getting black paint back on the top. I should have just sanded it again, but I decided not to and painted the top black as well. Once it was dry, I would heavily distressed the top with my sander.
I used Old-Fashioned Milk Paint and it did exactly what we often hope milk paint will do…it chipped LIKE CRAZY. I started to panic, because I wondered if there was going to be any paint left by the time it dried completely. I added a second coat in some spots, but decided to just go with the chippy flow on most of the desk.
The reason I specifically needed to find a dresser or desk that was hip high, is that this desk is going to become the sink in our “men’s room”, which is why I gave it such a masculine look. My husband will be cutting out the hole in the top for the cute little antique sink we bought last fall, and connecting the plumbing this week.
Finding the right base for the sink was the last of the bigger projects in this bathroom, and there are just a few finishing touches to complete to call it done. I’m looking forward to sharing this little bathroom with you – hopefully in the next week or so.