Two coats of paint later, and I was loving it. It looked fresh, and clean and bright…but I wanted to add something over that faux leather that I had painted.
Once it dried, I wet the paper and started rubbing it off. I thought it was going great, and was happy to see the transfer looked like it worked well over the faux leather, when my mother (who was looking over my shoulder), pointed out that all the words were backwards. I had forgotten to reverse the image before getting the copy made!
I rubbed off as much of the paper as I could, and accidentally rubbed off some of the paint on the edges as well.
This project was going downhill fast.
I was so disgusted with myself and didn’t feel like starting all over again, so I put the plant stand in my basement, where it has remained for the last 8 months. I finally pulled it out again, and decided to give it one more try. I repainted the whole thing, so I could start with a clean slate, but the top had residual paper transfer that wouldn’t come off, so the paint on top looked awful. I was so tempted to carry it back down to the basement, or even straight out to the burn pile, but I would have felt guilty about burning something that should have been lovely, had I not goofed it up.
By this point, I hated that plant stand.
Every time I passed by it, I glared at it.
... I may have even called it names.
But remember, I’m on a mission to clear projects out of my house, and I’d vowed to finish up every project I’d started. That horrid little plant stand was NOT going to win this battle!
I knew the only way to cover the residual paper left from the botched image transfer was to put something really thick over it, so I added some chalky powder from Vintage Storehouse to thicken up more white paint. I added more powder than I normally would to make chalky paint, so it would be nice and thick, then I painted it on, criss-crossing the brush strokes, so it would have the appearance similar to wall plaster.
That did the trick – oh hallelujah!
I still wanted to put some kind of image on top, but didn’t want to tempt fate by using the same image again, so this time I chose a bee image transfer (found HERE). This image didn’t even need to be reversed first, since both sides of a bee are the same.
If you’ve never done an image transfer before, the tutorial can be found HERE. Just remember – when dealing with text, you MUST reverse the image before you print it.
I was so overjoyed to finally be able to call this project DONE!