I know the title of my post seems wrong, since gingerbread men should be made of gingerbread, but I wanted to make some cinnamon dough ornaments, shaped like gingerbread men, so let’s just roll with it, ok? 🙂
If you recall, the theme for my Christmas decor this year is ” old-fashioned farmhouse”, and just like the 1st ornament I shared this year (see it here), these little guys look like something Mary and Laura (the Little House girls) would have made to decorate their Christmas tree.
Your kitchen will smell delightful when you bake them too!
Let’s get started.
Supplies You’ll Need:
(Makes 12 to 15 ornaments)
3/4 cup applesauce
2 bottles (2.37 oz. each) ground cinnamon
Spray sealer (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Mix applesauce and cinnamon in small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed. (You may need use your hands to incorporate all of the cinnamon.)
- Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet of plastic wrap. Cut dough into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
- Make a hole at top of ornament with drinking straw or skewer. Place ornaments on baking sheet.
- Bake 2-1/2 hours. Cool ornaments on wire rack.
- Insert ribbon through holes and tie to hang. Decorate with opaque paint markers,(fine tip set on Amazon) if desired, but I decided to leave mine plain.
I’m finishing up a few more ornaments, which I’ll be sharing later this week, so be sure to come back to see them!
Just a reminder, if you haven’t entered the Angel Wings Giveaway, there’s still time! Go here to enter to win.