Vintage Bench Makeover.
I know that’s the most boring blog post title in the world, right?
I kinda miss the good old days before I knew it was important to include very specific words if you wanted Google to find your blog post.
Basically, forget everything you ever learned in school about writing an interesting title, because Google won’t find it.
What I really wanted to title today’s post is
The Apple Doesn’t Fall Far From the Tree & Other Lies
or maybe I would have called it
The Kidney Bean That Kicked My Butt
or perhaps I would have gone with
The Glue Gun That Won the Battle
But no… I had to play by the rules, so I went with…
Vintage Bench Makeover
You see, several years ago I bought this vintage bench at a community yard sale.
The fabric on it was worn and outdated, but the legs were cute, and the seller offered to lower the price when she saw me looking at it.
I guess I was so busy looking at the cute legs that I didn’t notice the weird kidney bean shaped top on the bench.
I certainly didn’t consider how tricky recovering that shape might be.
I just blissfully brought it home, looking forward to giving it a makeover.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve pulled that bench out to work on it in the last few years, but every time that kidney bean shape threw me for a loop and I couldn’t figure out how to tackle it – especially since the top couldn’t be removed from the base, which would have made it easier.
My grandfather was an upholsterer by trade, and I’m sure a kidney bean shaped vintage bench wouldn’t have been a problem for him, but apparently the apple does fall far from the tree, because for the life of me, I wasn’t sure how go about it.
I finally decided to either attempt it, and if I failed, it would become wood for our next bonfire. 🙂
First, I painted the base white. That was the easy part.
Since I couldn’t remove the top, I just reused the original foam cushion and draped ticking fabric over the bench.
My husband helped me staple the fabric to the top edge of the seat, which was a challenge on the weird kidney shape.
To cover up the staples, I bought some pleated trim. It wasn’t as wide a trim as I wanted to use, but that was the only one the store had, so I went with it.
I used a hot glue gun to attach the trim and TA DA!
This little bench finally has the farmhouse look I hoped for, but didn’t think I would ever be able to give it.
I have it sitting in my She Shed right now, but once our bedroom gets remodeled, I’ll move it in there.
Vaya con Dios,