When you live in the country, giving someone directions to your house can be tricky.
There aren’t many landmarks to look for, unless you count fields of corn or barns.
So my directions usually sound something like this…
“Turn at the 5-way, go past three fields of corn on your left and two fields of soybeans on your right. When you spot the water tower in the distance, turn left.”
See the problem?
To make it even harder, our house numbers weren’t clearly displayed anywhere.
A few years ago, I did put our house address on an old little garden spade, but the numbers are small and can only be seen if you are standing at the front door.
It’s cute, but not very helpful for someone driving down my gravel road looking for my house.
I solved that problem this week though, when I found the rusty frame from an old realtor sign in my junk stockpile.
Now I realize that not everyone has a rusty realtor sign in their junk stockpile, so I won’t call this a DIY project.
The point really is to just think outside the box when looking at old junk, and think about what it could become.
The top of the frame seemed like it would be just the right size for house numbers.
My husband cut an old piece of salvaged wood to fit in it, and screwed it into the holes that were already there.
Once the numbers were nailed on, we added a ceiling hook at the bottom of the wood.
Then I headed out to my new potting bench, and potted some mums into an old enamelware pot.
The chain it’s hanging by was also from my junk stockpile.
I never know how I’ll use most of the junk I bring it home, but it’s always fun when I find the perfect project for some of it.
The mums are just starting to open up, so I’ll try to remember to take another photo later when they are in full bloom.
Our house numbers can be easily seen now!