It isn’t a big secret that I love old barns, but have I ever told you about MY barn?
Well, it’s a great big old red barn, with a white door, and a hayloft on top.
There are horses in their stalls, and chickens in a coop, and we gather fresh eggs from them every day.
On the outside, hollyhocks and sunflowers are growing, and the old water spigot never stops dripping.
Hanging on the side of my barn is a big, beautiful barn quilt.
I’m so sorry.
I may have stretched the truth just a tad.
That’s my dream barn, not my real barn.
Actually, there are 2 truths, 2 half-truths, and the rest of that barn description is a total figment of my imagination.
We really do have horses in a stall, and we really do have a drippy water spigot. Those are the 2 truths.
We used to have chickens, but we got rid of them (gasp!). That’s the first half-truth.
There used to be hollyhocks growing outside it. That’s the second half-truth, since I haven’t replanted any, so they aren’t there anymore.
But my real barn is white…
and it’s really is more like a machine shed than a big old barn…
and it doesn’t have a door at all, just a big opening…with my son’s Jeep-fixer-upper-project sitting inside.
I may never have a big red barn, with a pretty white door, but that didn’t mean I couldn’t have barn quilt for my machine shed, right?
Now, I realize that I titled this post “DIY Barn Quilt”, and technically you could do it yourself, but if you are hoping for a tutorial, you’re out of luck. I bumbled my way through this, so I can’t offer you any amazing “you can make this in 30 minutes or less” tutorial, because I’ve told enough fibs for one post! I will tell you how I managed to get the job done though, okay?
First, I went to Lowes and got a piece of indoor/outdoor plywood cut to the size I wanted, which was about 40″ square. My teenage son had to make sure everyone knows he’s behind it holding it up for me. Boys… 🙂
Then I searched online for a quilt design and found this Martha Washington quilt block pattern from Quiltivate.
I was so excited to get started! It seemed so easy. I started by painting one side of the board white. So far so good.
My plan was to blow up the pattern, and transfer the lines onto the board, then just paint the blue blocks.
I took it one step further though, and color-coded the blocks, so I would know exactly what I was doing. What could go wrong?
Well, I blew up that pattern, and I printed it out on 16 sheets of paper. Then I got out my tape to put together the puzzle of those 16 sheets of paper, but I had a Horrible, with a capital H, time of it.
I started having high school geometry flashbacks. It was a nightmare, I tell you.
To top it all off, a tree had given its life for the 16 pieces of wasted paper, and I was feeling guilty about that.
I was ready to thrown in the towel, and just chalk this up to an idea that wasn’t going to work out, but then I got smart and called in the real brains of the operation…
I called in my son… a graphic design major.
I figured I should see if his student loans are worth the interest they are accruing.
He had only been home from college ONE day, so he wasn’t all that excited about helping me with my project,
but I begged,
and I whined,
and I offered to pay for a haircut. 🙂
And he agreed. God bless him.
He spent the next several hours mapping out my design for me, while I soaked in the tub, because I knew he wouldn’t want me putting my two cents in.
He even color-coded the blocks for me.
God bless him.
And then I set about the business of taping off blocks and painting them.
Now this project was finally getting fun!
I got all the blue blocks painted, but the white blocks needed to be touched up, and the color-coded letters needed to be covered up. I had another project with a looming deadline that I needed to finish up, so I called my son in again.
And I begged,
and I whined,
and I offered to throw some cash his way…
And he agreed. (although he said I didn’t have to pay him)
God bless him.
And between the two of us,
we got that barn quilt done!
And he got a haircut, which made his momma happy.
So even though I don’t have a big red barn with a pretty white door, and sunflowers and hollyhocks growing along the side of it, I do have the barn quilt…
I am totally content with that!
Now, I don’t want to leave you high and dry, without a tutorial, so I searched online and found one for you here.
It’s kind-sorta how I did mine…except they make it look easier…
and they didn’t have a graphics design major son helping them.
Click HERE to see some projects I really DID do myself! 🙂