Over my years of being a junker, yard saler, and flea market shopper, a lot of old wooden drawers have passed through my house. Each one was different, but I loved them all.
There was the big wooden drawer that I turned into a farmhouse cabinet.
There were the drawers that I turned into storage shelves for craft supplies.
And the really messed up drawers that got repurposed into fabulous wall bins.
And the one I turned into a shelf for my son’s violin.
But my favorite wooden drawer?
It didn’t start out as a drawer at all.
It started out as a pile of pallet wood boards.
I hope you love it as much as I do, but let me explain why I made it first.
A few weeks ago when my husband and I made a farmhouse handled tote for flowers, he made a practice crate first to figure out how to put it together.
It’s been sitting in my living room, and the crate reminded me of a wooden drawer – a very rustic one.
I didn’t need two handled totes, but I had a light-bulb moment and realized that with just a bit of work, it would make an amazing display piece for my coffee table.
I’m not sure whether to call it a tray, a crate, or a drawer. I just know I truly love how it turned out.
Supplies I Used: (affiliate links included for your convenience)
How to Make a Rustic Farmhouse Wooden Drawer Tray
1. Follow steps 1-4 of the Farmhouse Tote tutorial.
2. Once assembled, you end up with a very primitive looking crate.
3. Add a coat of wood stain to give it an aged look.
4. Use a palm sander to distress the sides and edges. This will make it look more worn and weathered.
Here’s a close-up view of the front of the drawer.
5. Add drawer pulls on each end. The wood looks a bit cloudy from sanding, but that gets fixed in the final step.
6. Put tung oil on a rag and rub it into the wood. This protects the wood and gives it a very pretty low-gloss sheen.
Distressing the wood really brings out the texture and grain, and the tung oil brightens up the finish.
I’m getting ready to give my coffee table a makeover, and this wooden drawer tray will be perfect on top of it.
Vaya con Dios,