Farmhouse Pedestal Table: Downsizing for a Smaller Household

Farmhouse Pedestal Table: Downsizing for a Smaller Household

Our household is much smaller now since my older sons both got married and my daughter bought a new house last year.  My youngest son still lives at home.  I love my big farmhouse table but knew we could gain a lot of space if we downsized to a smaller one.

As luck would have it, I found a pedestal table at a thrift store for only $25.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

It’s in great shape, but I wanted to refinish the top and paint the base.

I looked online at pedestal tables because I was undecided what color to paint the base.  I spotted this one from Wayfair and decided I’d stay with black like our previous table had been.

How to Refinish and Paint a Round Farmhouse Kitchen Table with step by step directions and photos from Knick of Time #knickoftime #farmhousetable #paintedfurniture | www.knickoftime.net

How I Refinished and Painted a Farmhouse Pedestal Table

*This post contains affiliate links for which I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.

What I used:

What I Did:

First, I needed to strip the glossy finish off the top.  I used Ready Strip.  I had never tried this before, but it was supposed to be a more environmentally friendly stripper.  So I thought I’d give it a try.

The container said to wait 4-24 hours.  I waited about 4 hours.

How to strip the finish off a farmhouse table #knickoftime #furniturerenishing #farmhousetable #DIYproject | www.knickoftime.net

You have to apply it on thick.  Where I applied it too thin, it was a little harder to remove with the paint scraper.

I followed that with mineral spirits on a stripping pad to remove any residual stickiness.

Then I sanded it with several grades of sandpaper (100, 120, 220) to make the top super soft and ready for stain.  I forgot to take a photo of sanding and staining it, but you’ll see the result in the end.

I flipped the table on its top to paint the base.  I did two coats using Dixie Belle’s Midnight Sky.

TIP – I soak my brushes in Murphy’s Oil Soap for a few hours, then clean them with dish soap and rinse with water.  It removes even dried on paint and keeps them like new.

Once the base dried, I turned it back over and stained the top.

I let the stain dry for 24 hours, then applied three coats of Gator Hide drying for about an hour between coats.  Then it was finished!

It was a good deal of work, but not hard.  It was well worth the effort, saving me hundreds by refinishing it.

Refinished Thrift Store Farmhouse Pedestal Table #KnickofTime #farmhousekitchen | www.knickoftime.net

Since I saved a lot of money on the table, I splurged and got a large seagrass area rug and cross back chairs from Amazon that were very reasonably priced.

How to Refinish and paint a Farmhouse Pedestal Table #KnickofTime #farmhouse #farmhousekitchen #furnituremakeover #dixiebellepaint #paintedfurniture #diy | www.knickoftime.net

On the table, I have Pioneer Woman plates and coasters.  She has the greatest things for the kitchen.

On the wall behind the table is the DIY Paper Dispenser.

I missed the rustic wood-framed chalkboard that I sold, so I switched out the corrugated metal I had in the Pallet Wood Frame and added thin wood painted with chalkboard paint, then stained the frame.

So what do you all think of the new look of my farmhouse pedestal table?

Vaya con Dios,

Related Post

Comments

1. Sandy McElroy says:

Great job Angie, the table looks fantastic. Love the look of your kitchen, heck girl I love what you have done with the whole house.

2. Claudinee says:

Just beautiful and the chairs and rug look terific!

3. I have that exact same table in my kitchen! You have inspired me, it looks gorgeous!!!

4. Absolutely gorgeous! What color stain did you use it’s beautiful!
    Blessings
    Candy

5. Love it. Just right.

6. Angie I love that table. I always wanted one like that for our kitchen but we don’t have an eat in kitchen, we eat in the dining room. Hopefully our next house will have an eat in kitchen. You did a beautiful job on that table.

7. Barbara says:

Angie,
    You’ve done a brilliant job of refinishing your table. I have a trestle table I want to refinish. I’ll keep this article so I can perhaps use the same stripper you used and the finishing sealers. Do you like this stripper better than Citristrip? Thanks for sharing your project. It looks great in your kitchen!

8. Love it – you did a wonderful job! Thank you for the step by step instructions too!

9. Rosanne says:

Beautiful!

10. Turned out very nice. I like it

11. WOW! That is awesome. I love it and only $25. Your ideas are so nice. Take care and Happy Mother’s Day.

12. Gilmer Gal says:

Looks really good in your kitchen! So much better with the upgrade.

13. Linda Schorr says:

Love this! Very nice job!!

14. That table looks fantastic, love it so much, great job…x

15. Marlene Stephenson says:

It looks really nice, I love your kitchen. I want to do the same but, haven’t found a table yet, you found a really nice one.

16. That is beautiful, Angie! I love how it looks in the space!

17. tina roza says:

just awesome. what color of stain did you use? all of your hard work is so beautiful. thank you for sharing.

18. Naomi S says:

Angie, that turned out beautifully. I have a round oak table that I’ve been thinking of painting and your table re-do is inspiring me to actually do it. I hadn’t tho’t to use black for the pedestal and legs, but seeing yours I really like the way it looks. I think it might work even tho’ I’d tho’t I’d use white. I guess I could go with white and if I didn’t like it paint it black.

Your posts are always inspiring, Angie. Thanks for this one.

19. Gail ebeling says:

Love the table and the whole kitchen.

20. Jackie B says:

It is beautiful! Great job!

21. You did a beautiful job refinishing your table! I love the color you chose too! Your dining room looks so pretty.

22. Oh WOW. I just gasped when I saw that finished shot. BEAUTIFUL project, Angie.

23. You provided a clear easy to follow instruction series with a lovely result. Enjoy!

24. I love the table as I found the same one. I basically did the exact same thing in deep Nay with a wide 3 stripe grain sack stripe in the center of the table top